250g smoked bacon lardons
100g Lurpak® Slightly Salted
80g plain flour
900ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 bay leaf
75g cheddar and mozzarella, grated
75g Jarlsberg, grated
Pinch of nutmeg, grated
3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Fry the lardons in a large frying pan for 5 minutes or until crispy. Drain and set aside
3. To make the sauce, put the butter, flour and milk into a pan and heat over a low heat, whisking continuously. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the mustard and bay leaf. Stir in the cheddar and Jarlsberg and season with freshly ground black pepper.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the macaroni. Cook for 2 minutes less than the recommended cooking time on the packet, then drain and tip the macaroni back into the saucepan.
5. Pour 2/3 of the sauce into the pasta and stir well. Add the bacon and tip the pasta into a 1 ½ litre ovenproof baking dish. Spoon over the remaining sauce and sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until it is golden and bubbling.